Are you in charge of hosting holiday festivities this year? Whether you’re hosting a small family affair or a big holiday bash, you want to put your best foot forward during the holidays. That starts with getting your home dressed to impress.
From decluttering to decorating, here’s everything you need to prepare your home for a holiday season to remember.
- Corral wet winter gear with boot trays, a coat rack, and storage cubes for hats and gloves. You can buy boot trays or make your own using an absorbent mat or a DIY pebble tray.
- Are you hosting four-legged guests this holiday season? A paw wash station with towels and baby wipes will spare your carpets from muddy paws. Don’t forget to provide dog poop bags for pet parents.
- Write the WiFi password on a whiteboard or chalkboard. It’s easier for everyone when guests don’t have to ask.
Image via Pexels
- Deep clean the kitchen, including the oven, fridge, and coffeemaker. This space will see a lot of use over the coming days and it’s best to start with a clean slate.
- Sharpen your knives. You can use a nail file or coffee mug to sharpen kitchen knives in a pinch, but it’s worth investing in a proper knife sharpener.
- Stock up on plates and glasses or buy disposable dinnerware for a mess-free holiday feast. From biodegradable wood flatware to serving trays made of palm leaves, disposables are a lot classier (and eco-friendlier!) than you remember.
- Add cooking capacity with a countertop burner. The best electric burners come with multiple heat levels so you can simmer, saute, boil, or sear. Families with children will want a countertop burner with safety features like auto shut-off and quick cooling.
- Fill your pantry with seltzer, soda, and crowd-pleasing snacks like fresh fruit, mixed nuts, chips, crackers, cheese, and dips. Don’t forget seasonal treats like fudge, candy canes, and hot cocoa!
Image via Pexels
- Refresh guest beds with clean linens. Need more sleeping space? Invest in a trundle bed, sleeper sofa, or air bed to keep guests comfortable.
- Declutter guest bedroom closets to give guests space for personal items. If your guest bedroom lacks a dresser, buy stackable closet drawers for extra storage.
- Provide a small laundry basket in each guest bedroom. Your guests will appreciate the ability to keep their space tidy.
In the Bathroom
- Stock up on bathroom essentials, including toilet paper, travel-sized toiletries, and spare toothbrushes. Add a festive scented candle or toilet spray for privacy’s sake.
- Make fresh linens freely available. A floating shelf with decorative baskets offers a tidy way to store spare hand and bath towels.
- If your guests are staying a while, buy a portable shower tote they can use to carry supplies to and from the bathroom. Otherwise, it’s only a matter of time before your countertops are totally cluttered!
Image via Pexels
- Hang a festive wreath on the front door. Whether you DIY or buy, nothing says “Home for the Holidays” like a welcoming holiday wreath.
- Dress up your dinner table with a table runner and seasonal centerpiece. You can find table décor inspiration for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any holiday you’ll celebrate this season.
- Bring the scents of the season indoors with a real Christmas tree. Not only is picking out a tree a fun family activity — it’s good for the planet too!
It won’t be long before your house is buzzing with holiday activity. Make sure you’re ready for the hustle and bustle of the holiday season by knocking these items off your to-do list ASAP. With your chores done, the tinsel hung, and all the comforts your guests can dream of, you’ll be ready to enjoy the holiday season in style.
Fabulous holiday hosting starts with a great home.
Let W Home Group get you home for the holidays with a house you love. Call 443-901-2200 today.